18/09/2007

Back to highschool

Wow...
Things are moving so quick and we are so busy that we forgot to update this blog.
However, today I was meeting some high school (or sth like that) students and when I told them about this blog, I realized we should use it more often. So that's what I'm doing, because the feeling I got tis afternoon with those guys, I just wanna share it.

52 students are going to be involved with us to create an exhibition and in their school, two groups will work on the creation of a video clip (they're making their own songs + their own video) and another group is going to work with some collage work.
When I got there, I was so nervous. Dealing with 17-18 years old students is not an easy task. You never know what's gonna happen, you never know how they gonna react. So imagine me when I had to stand in front of 52 of them! After a brief intro of the teachers, I had to throw myself into it. I just stood up and started talking. Did not even prepare anything, did not know where I was really heading to. I just talked, tried to get the shit out of me, filled with energy, my energy, the one that got me out of trouble anytime and everything went very smooth.
I let them listen a song from the Flaming Lips, the Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, because I think it could be a good source of inspiration. I wasn't sure how they would react, but I guess it was positive.

I really liked the fact that some of them had criticisms about the song itself.

Later, I went with the visual art class who is gonna make some collage work. I was fascinated how enthusiastic this group is ! It took them no more than 10 min to get the thinking to a point I did not even expect. The variety of ideas is amazing, some very pessimistic thoughts, some other very enthusiastic. Their maturity was really interesting: they always had some good arguments to follow their ideas, and they were really willing at expressing themselves. Well, it's good I guess, this is what we want.
One of the group was a bit lost though, and not really agreeing with my little speech. So I sat down with those guys and chat for a while. I found it very interesting that those guys did not really give a shit of what's going on in the world, because everytime, they had good argument going along.

It made me thought a lot tonite: what if they are right? I mean, how can one be sure that what we are doing - the festival, believing in sustainability etc. - is the right thing? Who tells us that what is going on right is the way it should be and that everything will just be fine? Well, I couldn't tell them they were wrong. Nor they were right. I just told them: be yourself !

No comments: